Congenital hearing impairment has serious consequences for speech and language acquisition as well as emotional and intellectual development. This can be minimized, when identification and intervention occur, before the hearing-impaired child reaches 6 months of age, At BNH Hospital, we recommend OAE and ABR (for high risk childs and following an OAE screening test with a REFER result) screening test for every newborn prior to hospital discharge.
HIGH RISK GROUPS ASSOCIATED WITH CONGENITAL HEARING LOSS
- Family history of hereditary childhood sesorineural hearing loss.
- Craniofacial anomalies, including those with morphological abnornalitise of the pinna and ear contour
- Birth weight less than 1500 grams (3.3 Lbs)
- APGARxcores of 0 – 4 at 1 minute or 0 – 6 at 5 minute.
- Stigmata of other finding associated with a syndrome known to include a sensorineural
- and/or conductive hearing loss.
- Ototoxic medications, including but not limited to the aminoglycosides, used in multiple courses or incombination with loop diuretics.
- Mechanical ventilation lasting 5 days or longer.
- In utero infection, such as CMV, Fubello, syphilis, herpes and toxoplasmosis.
- Bacterial meningitis.
- Hyperbilirubinemia at a serum level requiring exchange transfusion.
THE FACT THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
….Although incident rate of congenital hearing impairment is 1 – 4 per 1000 newborn, and as high as 15 – 20 per 1000 newborn in high risk group (more than 2 times of the combination of thyroid disorders, galactocemia, PKU and sickle cell anemia rates), but most cases were diagnosed very lately.
Sensitivity of OAE screening test is 95%, specitivity is 90% (If results of the test were pass, the reliability is as high as 99.9%, but if the results were refer, the reliability is as low as 2% and should be rechecked by OAE and ABR)
However there are some disadvantages of the OAE test, like limitation of screening for very mild degree hearing loss, very low or very high frequency hearing loss and incase of progressive hearing loss.
For further information or to make an appointment :
For further information or to make an appointment, please contact us.
Telephone . (+662) 686-2700 E-mail : email@example.com